Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Thing 14: App-palooza!

I was so happy for Thing 14 because I facilitate and Elementary Library iPads in Education PD course and have 15 iPads in my library, and never feel like I'm on top of Apps!  I know it's impossible to be be and expert when the options are so numerous and ever-changing, but it's great to explore some new options.  I will also share all of your resources with the teachers and librarians in my PD group.

In my library I currently use my iPads as production tools (mostly iMovie and Keynote) and for internet access to the catalog, databases, and research links.  "Library in Your Pocket" inspired my to create an app for my students' for summer reading logs. Last year I began using the Scholastic Summer Reading Challenge for students summer reading logs.  I give prizes to participants in the fall.)  When asking students to reflect over the past week on if the liked the online scholastic log we used last summer or the paper calendar logs we used previous years better I learned that easy access to the Scholastic log was  the biggest challenge last summer. So, if I create an app with a direct link and a QR code for it to send home to parents, hopefully the app will help! So I of course realized I can't create an app for that, but I can create a QR code, and then give instructions to parents on how to Add the site to the home screen, creating an easy to use one touch link to the Summer Reading Challenge logs.  :)




I'm also very inspired to create the "Library in Your Pocket" QR list for back to school night 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment